Update [Fri 5th Aug, 2022 04:30 BST]: This is your reminder that this special Tetris 99 event will begin later today. It’s well worth participating if you have missed out on some past events, as each theme will only require you to earn 10 event points per round. You can see what’s on offer in the original post below.
Original article [Tue 2nd Aug, 2022 02:25 BST]: Nintendo has just announced the Switch Online game Tetris 99 will be hosting its 30th Maximus Cup. It kicks off this Friday on 5th August and will give players a “second chance” at unlocking themes they may have missed out on before.
Instead of having to earn 100 event points for each theme, this time around you’ll only have to earn 10 event points per round – meaning you can quickly snap up multiple themes one after the other. Here’s a bit of PR about it:
“Did you miss a recent Maximus Cup? Now’s your opportunity to add to your collection on in-game themes! Compete in online battles in Tetris 99 mode and collect at least 10 event points per in-game theme to unlock. Event points awarded based on rank achieved in each battle you compete in during the event.”
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) August 2, 2022
This cup will run from 5th August through to 10th August and will take place in six “back-to-back” rounds. Here’s the full schedule:
- Round 1 features the Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 5.
- Round 2 features the Miitopia theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 6.
- Round 3 features the Mario Golf: Super Rush theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 7.
- Round 4 features the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 8.
- Round 5 features the WarioWare: Get It Together! theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 9.
- Round 6 features the Samus Edition theme as a reward and runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PT on Aug. 10.
Will you be participating in this upcoming event? Leave a comment down below.